Many countries require Australians to have an international driving permit (IDP) in addition to a valid Australian driving licence to legally drive a car, or ride a motorbike. An IDP is a widely recognised document that can be issued by associated members of the Australian Automobile Association (AAA). Before driving overseas, Australians should contact the appropriate foreign mission in Australia for information on drivers licence requirements.
Ensure the IDP allows you to drive or ride the vehicles you intend to use. Some insurance policies will not cover you if you have an accident using a vehicle you are not licensed to drive.
IDPs are issued through state and territory motoring clubs. To obtain an International Driving Permit, please contact the relevant IDP authority in your state:
- New South Wales and Australian Capital Territory - NRMA Motoring and Services
- Queensland - RACQ Ltd.(Royal Automobile Club of Queensland Limited)
- Victoria - RACV (Royal Automobile Club of Victoria)
- South Australia - RAA (Royal Automobile Association of South Australia, Inc)
- Western Australia - RAC (Royal Automobile Club of Western Australia (Incorporated)
- Tasmania - RACT (Royal Automobile Club of Tasmania Limited)
- Northern Territory - AANT (Automobile Association of Northern Territory Inc), phone: (08) 8981 3837