Australia Awards Scholarship Program is a flagship bilateral development program between Mongolia and Australia. Since the 1990s through this scholarship program nearly 500 Mongolians have studied in Australia and now these alumni are contributing to the development of Mongolia.
Australia Awards in Mongolia are managed through Australia Awards Mongolia Office.
Australia Awards Scholarships are long term development awards administered by the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.
They aim to contribute to the long term development needs of Mongolia by providing opportunities for Mongolians, to undertake full time postgraduate study at participating Australian universities.
The study and research opportunities provided by Australia Awards Scholarships develop skills and knowledge of individuals to drive change and contribute to the development outcomes.
The Awards are offered for the period necessary to complete the academic program specified by the Australian higher education institution, including any preparatory training. The following benefits generally apply:
- Full tuition fees
- Return air travel—payment of a single return, economy class airfare to and from Australia, via the most direct route
- Establishment allowance—a once only payment towards accommodation expenses, text books, study materials
- Contribution to Living Expenses (CLE) – is a fortnightly contribution to basic living expenses paid at a rate determined by the department..
- Introductory Academic Program (IAP)—a compulsory 4-6 week program prior to the commencement of formal academic studies covering information on life and study in Australia
- Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the duration of the award (for award holder only)—provided to cover the student's basic medical costs (with the exception of pre-existing conditions)
How to apply
Applications for 2017 scholarships open in February 2017 and will close on 30 April 2017. Applications are submitted online and extensions cannot be provided.
Please make sure you read the Scholarships Policy Handbook (available here) before you apply. The handbook provides information including general eligibility requirements, selection processes, entitlements and awardee responsibilities.
Prospective applicants should also read the Mongolia Country Profile here.
Applicants must have an IELTS (Academic) score of at least 5.5 (or TOEFL equivalent) or if the applicant is from outside Ulaanbaatar a minimum IELTS score of 5.0.
Further more detailed information on applications can be found at the Australian Awards Office website here.
Further general information on AUSTRALIA Awards scholarships can be found here.